Friday, May 09, 2008

Poem I wish I wrote (but I didn't)

Here is a poem I wish I wrote. But Billy Collins beat me to it:

The Student

My poetry instruction book,
which I bought at an outdoor stall along the river

contains many rules
about what to avoid and what to follow.

More than two people in a poem
is a crowd, is one.

Mention what clothes you are waring
as you compose, is another.

Avoid the word vortex,
the word velvety, and the word cicada.

When at loss for an endinv,
have some brown hens standing in the rain.

Never admit that you revise.
And - always keep your poem in one season.

I try to be mindful,
but in these last days of summer

whenever I look up from my page
and see a burn-mark of yeallow leaves,

I think of the icy winds,
that will soon be knifing through my jacket.

- Billy Collins in The Trouble with Poetry & Other Poems

0 kommentarer: