I am sitting in my living room, the black cat Zunifer and the little black kitten Indica are walking around, silently hunting each other. Stephanie is singing and playing the guitar outside, folk/singer songwriter american music. She is perhaps the most intelligent 18 year-old I have ever met. The kitten is now laying on her back on an office chair. She is a funny one, in the mornings, if I let my door be a little open, she will come in and start purring and kneading her little footies towards my neck. I just gave up playing the piano, it didn't want to work with me today, but otherwise I have been tryint to play a little everyday.
I just squeezed a mosquite between my fingers. It was full of blood. I gave it to the kitten and she just ate it. Mission accomplished I guess. I have lots of mosquito bites, so I have no sympathy.
It is warm here, California is hot, man! Today, I think it was 35 degrees C, or it was perhaps 75 degrees Fahrenheit. That is hot. But I like it, I can wear my summer dresses still. They also have lots of swimming pools here - outside. As a student you can enter them all free, or for 50 cents. That is 3 kroner or 20 p.
Once a week I am supposed to cook food for 12 people, but we are two to do it, so it is not so bad. and the 4 other meals I can just sit down and eat, I think it is a good deal.
This place is demanding, there is not so much personal space, and I have found it very easy to step on peoples personal feelings when just expressing a wish or a want for change. Not everyone though, is like that, but sometimes that is very overwhelming when something you say is just taking in a very wrong way and you ge tit sort of blown in your face that you need to be considerate. After all, there is something called legacy. What is also hard to adjust to is the fact that the cats are allowed on the dinner table and such, which is a new deal for me.
Labels are not my favourite thing, but this is definetely a house of what could be desribed as so-called Hippies. Some more hippie than others, of course. It is definetely a different experience than anything else I have had. And I am learning a lot, every day, about human relations, the effects of smoking natural substances (not by personal experience, don't worry mother), about living in a community, about communication, about gardening, about hypocricy, about life.
I will try to post some pictures soon, by the way. I have so many that have to up here, oh dear. Also have to get Stevie to call or visit the computer repair in York and kick some but and make them send my computer to me, I am so incredibly fed up with lacking service and rude computer repair clerks.
Also, I have to contact some teachers here and figure out which Economics class to take. There are SO many interesting ones, especially at the department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and the department of Political Science. Crazy cool.
Keep in touch, guys. Thinking of you, even if I am bad at writing a lot of emails.
Friday, September 22, 2006
UC Davis
Lagt inn av
Miss Winther
på
9/22/2006 03:33:00 am
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 kommentarer:
1) u knew me when i was 18......mwar
2)75 degrees? dai
besos
I meant more like 95 degrees!!! typing mistake I guess! definetely. yeah, but now we are two years older. isn't it nice? :D
love
The cats are not supposed to be on the table! It it NOT good for the house environment, it´s not desirable, hippies or not!
What about toxoplasmosis? Cats waving their rear ends over the table where food is eaten is not good. Remember to trust your own judgement, do not accept every costume and house rule-
Ragnfrida
Post a Comment