So, I hear that I have some unexpected readers. That is very nice. :)
A lot of things have happened lately, I guess. So I don't really know where to start. I am neither as creative in the evenings at half past midnight as I am in the middle of the day, walking somewhere, and having great thoughts and ideas that I need to put down in my blog.
I am sitting in a room with 8 mice. Jennifer has managed to get her things out of her old room and Derek has moved his things into our new room - yep, that is right, I am doing the co-ed thing, and no, I did not get a boyfriend :) . I have my things outside as for the moment, but very soon my backpack and my suitcase will be placed in my new room. It is quite small, painted in dark red, dark green and yellow with three enormous tulips on the door. It has big windows, from which you can see a bright yellow-orangy light lighting up the food-science lab/storage twenty-four-seven. I will maybe make some curtains and hang there. The room has a walk in closet, with a lock on the inside in case I need to escape from someone bad. The best thing, probably with this room, and one of the reasons I don't mind sharing with Derek is that it has a little bathroom with a toilet, a sink and a shower, so one has some privacy. And can skip the monday morning shower queue. The little bathroom is also much cleaner than the other bathrooms. Tomorrow I shall clean my new room. It is funny, after moving in to this house I have taken a liking to cleaning. Haha. Who would have imagined.
I am only number 8 on the waitlist for an Intermediate Microeconomic Theory with a German professor who I spoke to today. That means that in 5 hours, two people have dropped the class, which is a good sign for my chances to get into that class. So far I have
Russian,
Water and Society,
Ecology, Nature and Society,
Italian Style and Translation and that economics class. That is a little too much, but I will probably end up dropping one of them, only I haven't decided on which one. They all seem very exciting to me, although the Italian was an idea that I got when I saw it was there, so I just added it without any further thought. We'll see, we'll see.
I am quite intruiged by the American higher education system. I will probably be very busy, but I have a good feeling about this year. Living in a collektive is challenging, but also very rewarding. We made Outstanding Outmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies tonight and watched Princess Bride. Karlis phoned in the middle and called us freaks for watching that film. It was a hilarious film, though, suprised I'd never really heard about it; Norwegian television to tend to broadcast a lot of American films anyway.
So the house has been going through a moving period, that is, everyone has been moving their stuff from one room to another. As I have not had a room to call my own yet, this is a welcome action, that I felt I had to push a bit forward.
I went swimming today, with Jennifer, which was very nice because I felt I got to know her better. She asked me yesterday, while I was planting potatoes, whether I believed in the Apocalypse... Well, I said, when it happens, I'd like to be working, and be oblivious. Anyway, what I need to write before I finish is that I have seen a Marching Band today! Oh, My I say!! That was perhaps one of the more exciting moments in my Davis career. They march around in the streets shouting Woooooaaaaaaa, while playing or hitting the drums, and then they stopped and played Green Day songs and jumped up and down and waived their instruments from side to side and threw their hats with all the little thingies on in the air - and some even threw their instruments in the air. Then they were done and marched on the another place, kicking their feet and shoating Woooaaa again. Never seen anything like it...! :) Like many of the things I have been seing lately actually.
Oh,yes, and I made Borsh today, a Russian beet root soup, for 30 people. I know it sounds impressive, but there is always a LOT of other foods, but I think almost everyone ate a bowl anyhow. And it was very popular. I am happy with that - so far I seem to have generated a interest in European culture, and costums, with the people I live with. A lot of people ask about this and that, and I ask them about this and that about the American way. A housemate of mine said today that she thought"we should do more of this!" referring to international students and exchange programs. It really made me smile and think that my rootlessness is perhaps worth something. Aproposito though, I am already growing some roots in this place.
Buenas Noches.
Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Marching bands and Borsh and Roots
Lagt inn av
Miss Winther
på
9/26/2006 07:43:00 am
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 kommentarer:
Glad to hear that you are settling in over there. I see that you have been introduced to ROUSes - The Princess Bride was one film that i watched many times during my time at AC. Still 1 week till terms starts here - filled with the joys of revising!
Hopefully there will be a few UWC freshers to meet.
Post a Comment