Friday, November 17, 2006

Feminine Reflections

What Woman may be, and yet not have the Vote.
Mayor - Nurse - Mother - Doctor or Teacher - Factory Hand

What Man may have been, & yet not lose the Vote
Convict - Lunatic - Proprieter of white Slaves - Unfit for Service - Drunkard

this was written around year 1900 by the Suffraggette movement. I found it quite interesting. What has changed. We have got the right to vote. Everybody has the right to vote. Because we have had the right to vote for such a long time, we take it for granted that things are fine, that we don't need to address the issue of feminism anymore. No? How many haven't met girls who have said "Feminsist? Me? No, not at all. - But I do think that women have equal rights as men..." Well, sorry to break it but then you are a feminist. So why is it that so many do not want to take on a title of feminist? Is it something to be ashamed of?
I see it all the time in the society - everywhere. And I often see myself taking on a role of what is expected of me, not necessary what I could do. I find myself falling short when it comes to organisational skills - however, is this becasue I am a girl, or because I lack expericence? I believe it is mostly the latter, however, why do I lack the experience of leadership and decision making? Because from ever I was a little girl, we were expected to comply to the others - the loud, shouting, popular boys in our class, and if you didn't shut up and agree, you were a bitch. Of course, this is not how it works now, when we are grown up. Maybe the school systems in different countries are different. I know that the American Pre-school and Primary school put a lot of emphasis on the individual and on creating self confident - more so than Scandinavian kindergardens and primary schools does. For 7 years I was used as a "buffer" - I was always put (deliberately?) in between two guys that always would cause trouble, or talk or some other kind of mischief. This didn't stop until I myself recognised a patterni in middle school, and sat my foot down. My teacher didn't admint doing it deliberatly, however, I never had to take care of the class tranquility again. I am not saying thatall boys are noisy. and boys too, can be used as buffers. But why is it that there are so mnay girls in a veriety of activity and groups - but take a look at the hierarchy - who are making the decisions? who are the ones seemingly getting "things" done? of my friends from primary school, there is ONE girl who clearly says she is going to be a leader. One of us is studying economics and leadership. I do not necessarily agree with her views and opinions always, (and why is it that Economics and Leadership go hand in hand - and not let's say - Nursing and Leadership?). Point being - she was the annoying, quarrelsome bitch in my class. We didn't always get a long, her and I, but at least I think the others agreed that we were both as obnoxious. This was only for a certain period in school, and some of the roles have now changed, we are not the sour, un-complying people anymore. (But we are still speaking our minds, though). Again, I want to question why girls are encouraged to be quiet and make nice drawing, while boys are allowed to make noise and run around? I am not afraid to say what I mean. I do feel I come to short when it comes to take on responsibility and be in charge, however. And so I leave it to others, that I believe are stronger, and more capable of being in charge. I am hoping I will change. But I also hope that it is OK to be at home and knit and make bread. Or wear high heals and be feminine. I have quarrels with myself, what I should spend my time on, what I should prioritize.

Think about how the mini-society around you is comprised. Look at the alliances and the dynamics around you. I am not being paranoid, I am linking things together. I think we should offer more thought on this topic, and look into ourselves, (and the society around us) - how are we contributing to the stereotypes and current prejudice against the feminist movement. www.fett.no

0 kommentarer: