Saturday, January 05, 2008

Travelling again



Mac and I are travelling. And something funny happened. I started to think in English. I started describing what I saw, describing the 50 meter steep hillside of black granite sloping down towards the almost just as black ocean, creeping in to the mountain 200 meters, protected by the hillsides on each sides.

Some frozen spots on the fjord, but otherwise pitch black. And then I started to think of how much snow there is. Only about 1 cm before, now perhaps three centimetres. The hills are just about covered and the trees are bare. In the horizon is the most amazing sigh ever, oh, how I wish I had a camera with me. Three baug mountains, fully covered in snow, and shining bright white from the light of the rising morning sun. my jaw dropped, compared to the rest of the hills, I didn’t expect such a sight. The morning sun is showing 09.32 hours, and it is yet to be light out. It is dim, almost blue, still. In fact, I cannot see the sun (out of the tunnel, I cannot either see the sun). the sun is not coming back until the 6th of January, about. And this country is pretty much made of mountains; I am in a tonne of tunnels at the moment. “If you catch me, where would we land?” (Remy Zero, Garden State soundtrack).

The mountains are back, and the sea is more present. White, white, with black forest in the foreground, behind the sea, the bdark blue almost black sea. Further in, I can see it is more blue, another shade of the heaven above, and the mountains have more snow, are more magical. How I wish I could photograph is for you, but my camera has a. no battery and b. is in my mum’s house some miles further south, and c. the battery charger is in York. I’ll have to try to describe them, but oh, no, another tunnel. “I get all the news I need on the weather report. I got nothing to do today but smile. … Half of the time we’re gone, but we don’t know where” (Simon and Garfunkel, Garden State soundtrack).

It is 0 degrees C outside, and the white mountain has thee peaks in the middle, one taller thin the middle and two smaller peaks, not very pointy. It flattens out on both sides, it is strangely symmetrical for a mountain, for a while before the left goes upwards again to form another people and the right just slopes downwards. It is all sharp white. The sky is almost purple now. Very very careful ink. It was meant to say pink, but I like the ink-metaphor. It is still zero degrees outside, but there is suddenly at least 10 cm snow. Minus one degree. And more light.

0 kommentarer: